Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Carson the Menace...

Ok, so most of us are old enough to remember Dennis the Menace...ya know, the cute little blond headed kid that terrorized his neighbor, Mr. Wilson??? I believe the comic originated in the early 50s.

Well, let's fast forward almost 60 yrs......

To give you a bit of background, We bought our house in August of 2004. I was pregnant with Carson and excited about being a first time homeowner. We had lived there about 2 months and had met just about everyone on the street. With the exception of our immediate next door neighbor. He was an older gentleman with a balding head and round belly. Always wore overalls...and NEVER smiled. I joked with Josh that he looked like Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace. We laughed and said that maybe the baby (we didn't know at that time that he was a boy) would be like Dennis. "How cute would that be?", we thought. hmmmm

Fast forward.......
April 2006. Carson is now 16 months old and I am pregnant with Cade. We have lived on the street for almost 2 years and still had yet to speak a word to "Mr. Wilson". We called him that because of the resemblance...and because we had no idea what his name actually was. I should also mention that, at this time, we were the very proud owners of 2 VERY
happy,energetic,spastic devil dogs that were constantly getting out of the fence.
One particular night they got into "Mr. Wilson's" yard and "Mr. Wilson" called the law. 2 police officers knocked on our door to inform us that we needed to get our dogs. And we needed to sign the police report. (This is actually a really funny story for another blog.) The officer said "Please, sign here beside Mr. Wilson's statement." (Notice the lack of sarcastic quotation marks.) Those were his EXACT words!!! Our crotchety old neighbor's name was truly MR. WILSON.

Fast forward......
April 2009. Carson is 4 and Cade is 2. We have now lived on the street for almost 5 years and, other than the night with the cops, have had no contact with Mr. Wilson. The boys are playing in the backyard (which is privacy fenced).

Carson come's in:
"Mom, I'm hungry"
"Honey, I'm cooking..it will be a few more minutes"
(whining) "But mom, I'm STARVING"
"Carson, go find a snack"
Carson leaves...content to find his own food.

I go outside to get the boys for dinner, and......they are gone!!! I look all over the backyard and notice a board loose on the fence. Ya know, the fence that I share with Mr. Wilson. I look over into his yard and there, all cute and blonde-headed, are my 2 children. Eating carrots that they had picked fresh, right out of Mr. Wilson's garden!! Now, my first instinct as a mom was, of course, to grab my camera and capture this precious moment, but then the police incident popped into my head. I am yelling at them to come back and they are just staring at me...I am still yelling. I am sure that I should have gone over to get them, but I wasn't risking getting caught in his yard...They weren't taking me down with them. Finally, they come back over, we patch up the fence, they get a
stern talking to.
Ok, I was laughing way to hard to discipline, but I managed to tell them not to do it again....Carson says, ever so sweetly, "Mommy, I was hungry and you told me to find a snack".....DAMMIT!!!

...To be Continued


Read more:http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=202134312&blogId=486024045#ixzz0xeIeJ0wtAA

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you back on the blog. Now if we can keep you blogging

    ReplyDelete